VSG: Immune (Boost)
Garlic Cashew Broccoli
SERVES: 2 PREP
TIME: 20 MIN Gluten Free
• ½ pound broccoli florets,
cut into small pieces
• ½ tablespoon coconut oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
• 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
• 1 tablespoon whole oat flour
• 2 tablespoons water
• ¼ cup cashews (raw is best)
Gluten Free Variation: Make sure the tamari
and oat flour are gluten free.
1. Steam broccoli for 5-7 minutes until al
dente, then set aside.
2. While the broccoli is steaming, heat coconut
oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add minced
garlic, black pepper, white pepper, and sauté
until fragrant 1-2 minutes.
3. Then add vegetable stock, tamari, rice
wine vinegar, and maple syrup. Bring to a
boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 1 min.
4. As the sauce simmers, quickly dissolve
1 tbsp of oat flour in 2 tablespoons of water.
Slowly add this oat flour solution to the
sauce while stirring constantly. Continue
simmering 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens,
5. Once the sauce is done, remove pan from
heat, and pour about half the sauce into a
small bowl for dipping. Then mix in broccoli
and cashews, coating the vegetables thoroughly
with remainder of the sauce.
6. Serve with rice and sauce on the side for
a delicious meal.
[more tips on pages 120-121]
more from the VSG: Your Guide to
The Benefits learn
and Maple Syrup: A Zinc Powerhouse
and Regulate! learn
Food Charts by Nutrition
on pages 226-260 so you can replace
or add an ingredient helping
you maximize nutrients for optimal health.
whether you're a long-term vegan
or just trying to optimize your meals with
maximum nutrition, the VSG is a fun and
The Vegan Survival Guide (amazon.com)
share your thoughts and comments